Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Alicja Biskupska-Haas is an experienced and knowledgeable lawyer who specializes in the asset management sector. Alicja advises sponsors on fund structuring, formation, operations, compliance with securities laws, and secondary and portfolio company transactions. Alicja’s expertise includes private equity funds, venture capital funds, hedge funds, hybrid vehicles, joint ventures and separately managed accounts. Alicja’s experience spans across diverse asset classes, including liquid securities, infrastructure, real estate, oil and energy, clean energy, technology, sports and media and AI.
Alicja advises clients on the structuring and negotiations of a wide range of domestic and international secondary transactions. These include everything from fund book transactions, including stapled deals, to GP-led restructurings and direct secondary transactions. Her deals cover single assets or wider portfolios of venture-backed or private equity-backed companies.
Alicja also counsels asset managers in connection with their operations, including internal governance, carry arrangements, spin-outs, restructurings and regulatory compliance matters arising in each stage of an investment cycle. This includes addressing issues arising for sponsors with multi-jurisdictional operations.
In addition, Alicja frequently represents international corporations, major pension funds, sovereign wealth funds and other institutional investors. She counsels them on acquiring positions in private funds, entering into joint ventures, and establishing separately managed accounts or other bespoke arrangements. Furthermore, she expertly guides clients engaged in co-investments and direct investments, including handling issues relating to the acquisition, disposition, and structuring of portfolio investments. Alicja regularly negotiates complex agreements both on the sponsor’s and on the investor’s side. Through her multifaceted experience, she is able to understand a client's investment opportunity from all angles and can anticipate, identify, and efficiently resolve the issues that are at the heart of that client’s transaction.
Alicja also has extensive transactional and compliance experience in capital markets and has handled numerous securities offerings. She has represented public and private companies in connection with a variety of corporate transactions, including stock and asset purchases and equity and debt financings. She has also advised foreign private issuers in compliance with SEC and stock exchange regulations.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a “Notable Practitioner” by IFLR1000 in Investment Funds, and Industry Sector: Investment Management (2019 & 2020)
- New York
- Benjamin Cardozo School of Law, J.D.: magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; editor, Cardozo Arts and Entertainment Law Journal
- University of Szczecin, Szczecin, Poland, B.S., M.S., Economics: with High Honors; Ministry of Education Full Scholarship for Outstanding Academic Achievement
- “The Below the Radar Boom in Co-Investments,” The Investment Lawyer (2017)
- “Open-End vs. Closed-End Real Estate and Infrastructure Funds,” The Real Estate Finance Journal (2017)
- SEC Publishes Alert Describing Most Common Advertising Rule Violations (September 2017)
- New California Law Mandates Public Disclosure of Additional Private Fund Information (October 2016)
- FINRA Proposes New Category of Broker-Dealer for “Capital Acquisition Brokers,” (August 2016)
- What Does FinCEN’s Proposed AML Rule Really Mean for Registered Investment Advisers? (July 2016)
- SEC Raises “Qualified Client” Net Worth Threshold (June 2016)
- Private Funds Formation (private equity, venture capital, hedge and hybrid funds, separate managed accounts and other bespoke arrangements)
- Investment Advisory Arrangements and Transactions (structuring, reorganization, spin-outs, removals)
- Secondary Transactions (fund book and direct, single- and multi-asset GP-led restructurings and other liquidity solutions)
- Private Funds Portfolio Transactions (Mergers and Acquisitions)
- Investment Adviser and Private Funds Regulations and Compliance
- Institutional Investor Representation
- Seeding Arrangements