Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Brian Covotta advises growth-oriented technology and biotechnology companies on corporate and securities transactions, including initial formation, venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions, public and private securities offerings, the periodic reporting requirements of publicly held companies, and general corporate counseling. He works with clients in a variety of industries, including Internet, mobile, gaming, networking, security, semiconductor, software, biotechnology, telecommunications, clean technology, electronic design automation (EDA), flash memory, media, and medical devices.
Brian also represents acquirers and targets in a variety of public, public-private, and private-private business combination transactions, as well as issuers and underwriters in public and private securities offerings. In addition, he represents venture capital firms in various corporate and securities transactional matters.
Brian helps his clients’ management and boards of directors shape and execute their business strategies. Drawing on his extensive experience, he also provides counsel on legal issues ranging from day-to-day corporate and regulatory matters to corporate governance and other mission-critical initiatives, including acquisitions and capital market strategies.
Honors & Awards
- Named to Super Lawyers’ “Rising Stars” list of Northern California’s best young attorneys in the area of Business/Corporate law in 2012 and 2013
- University of California, Berkeley, J.D., 1998: American Jurisprudence Award in Contracts and Representing Technology Companies; Prosser Award in Corporations; Honorable Mention for Brian M. Sax Prize for Excellence in Clinical Advocacy
- Syracuse University, B.A., Psychology, 1995: summa cum laude; Outstanding Research Achievement in Psychology; Outstanding Academic Achievement in Psychology; Dean's List; Chancellor's Scholar
- California Bar Association
- “Pro CD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg: A Case Comment,” Berkeley Technology Law Journal 13:1
- “Personal Jurisdiction and the Internet: An Introduction,” Berkeley Technology Law Journal 13:1
- Represented Apache Design Solutions, Inc., in its sale to Ansys, Inc.
- Represented Xradia, Inc., in its sale to Carl Zeiss AG.
- Represented KXEN, Inc., in its sale to SAP AG.
- Represented Berkeley Design Automation, Inc., in its sale to Mentor Graphics Corporation.
- Represented Silicon Turnkey Solutions, Inc., in its sale to Micross Components, Inc.
- Represented Udacity, Inc., in its sale of Series C Preferred Stock.
- Represented Skorpios Technologies, Inc., in its sale of Series D Preferred Stock.
- Provided representation in public securities offerings ranging in size from US$40.0 million to more than US$1.0 billion for issuers or underwriters in a variety of industries, including flash memory, internet, networking, semiconductor, software, and telecommunications.
- Represented acquirers and targets in merger and acquisition transactions ranging in size from less than US$1.0 million to more than US$1.0 billion, including multi-jurisdictional transactions in a variety of industries such as biotechnology, clean technology, electronic design automation (EDA), flash memory, internet, gaming, media, medical devices, mobile, networking, security, semiconductor, software, and telecommunications.
- Represented issuers in PIPE transactions ranging in size from US$4.5 million to US$125 million in a variety of industries, including biotechnology, medical devices, software, telecommunications, and retail.
- Represented companies and venture capitalists in more than 350 venture investments ranging in size from less than US$100,000 to more than US$2.2 billion, including multi-jurisdictional transactions in a variety of industries such as biotechnology, clean technology, electronic design automation (EDA), flash memory, internet, gaming, media, medical devices, mobile, networking, security, semiconductor, software and, telecommunications.