Damali A. Taylor
Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Damali Taylor is a former federal prosecutor and an accomplished trial lawyer. Since rejoining O’Melveny in 2017, Damali regularly represents clients on a broad array of white collar and civil litigation matters, including internal, criminal, and regulatory investigations. She has led dozens of jury trials and defended against hundreds of pretrial motions.
Damali spent more than six years as a federal prosecutor at the United States Attorney’s Office in the Northern District of California. Most recently, Damali served as the Deputy Chief of the Organized Crime Strike Force Section. As a federal prosecutor, Damali handled complex fraud, racketeering, bribery, money laundering, murder and human trafficking cases. Prior to her tenure as an Assistant US Attorney, Damali served as an Assistant District Attorney in the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office. Damali also previously served as Chair of the San Francisco Police Commission, the oversight body responsible for implementing reform and imposing discipline for the San Francisco Police Department.
Damali is the Hiring Partner for O’Melveny’s San Francisco office and a member of the Firm’s Racial Justice Committee.
Damali has received awards and commendations from the FBI for her outstanding trial and prosecutorial skills. She also received the Unsung Heroes Award in recognition of her dedication to victims of crime.
Honors & Awards
- Named to the "500 Leading Litigators in America" list for White Collar, Civil & Securities Litigation by Lawdragon (2022)
- Named to Global Investigations Review’s “Women in Investigations” Survey (2021)
- New York
- Yale Law School, JD
- Boston University, BA, English Literature, magna cum laude
Damali served as Vice President and Chair of the San Francisco Police Commission, the oversight body responsible for implementing reform and imposing discipline for the San Francisco Police Department. In this role (as well as in her former role as an Assistant US Attorney), she handled issues of police misconduct and civil rights abuses.
Within O’Melveny, Damali is the Hiring Partner for the San Francisco Office.
Speaker Engagements and Publications
- Guest lecturer: Stanford School of Law, UC Berkeley School of Law, UC Hastings College of the Law, and University of San Francisco School of Law
- Speaker, “Cross Border Enforcement: Key Trends and Investigation Best Practices,” Global Business Alliance (October 2020)
- Panelist, “The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and International Anti-Corruption Developments 2020,” Practising Law Institute (September 2020)
- Panelist, “Crypto Transformation: Legal Perspectives on the Evolving Blockchain,” Women in Blockchain Conference (March 2019)
- Panelist, “Cybercrime Cryptocurrency Series,” Berkeley Journal of Criminal Law (February 2019)
- Panelist, “Elimination of Bias in Technology Jury Trials,” Bar Association of San Francisco (January 2018)
- Author, “California Pursues Sweeping New Legislation That Would Expand Application of False Claims Act Into the Tax Fraud Arena,” O’Melveny Client Alert, with David Leviss, Steve Olson and Daniel Suvor (June 2020)
- Author, “Keeping COVID-19 Charitable Giving Compliant: Taking Steps Now Can Avoid Legal Risk Later,” O’Melveny Client Alert, with Greta Lichtenbaum (May 2020)
- Author, “DOJ Eases Requirements in Corporate Enforcement Policy Update,” O’Melveny Client Alert, with Nicole Argentieri, Laurel L. Rimon and Ben Singer (November 2019)
- Author, “National Institute of Health Urges Increased Vigilance Against Foreign Attempts to Influence and Steal Biomedical Research and Intellectual Property,” O’Melveny Client Alert, with Nicole Argentieri and Ron Cheng (February 2019)
- Author, “Fintech: Anti-Money Laundering Compliance 101,” O’Melveny Client Alert, with Nicole Argentieri, Laurel L. Rimon and Eric Sibbitt (October 2018)
Private Practice Experience
- Lead trial counsel for market-leading kombucha manufacturer in litigation alleging false advertising and unfair competition
- Lead trial counsel for major automotive manufacturer in federal class action litigation alleging fraud
- Lead trial counsel for founder of prominent wealth management firm in valuation dispute that went to AAA arbitration hearing; awarded attorney’s fees and costs as the prevailing party
- Conducted a web of investigations relating to allegations of fraud and corruption for a multinational company facing inquiries from federal, state and local enforcement agencies, including Main Justice and the US Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of California, multiple state Attorneys General, and District Attorneys
- Trial counsel for global technology company in class action litigation alleging fraudulent misrepresentation and breach of warranty; matter settled favorably on the eve of trial
- Representing global investment firm in connection with SEC investigation
- Represented multinational company in connection with Department of Justice investigation into alleged fraud scheme involving international trade
- Represented leading blockchain company in negotiating the terms of a settlement with the Department of Justice
- Conducted an internal investigation for the audit committee of a major utility company
- Secured a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction for a financial services company against extremist groups that threatened and harassed the company’s employees
- Trial counsel for large municipality in a federal labor and employment trial
- Obtained convictions following jury trial on more than 30 counts of tax fraud and mail fraud against a business owner for filing false corporate income tax returns with the IRS, for failing to file payroll tax returns, and for filing false sales and use tax returns with the California Board of Equalization
- Obtained convictions following jury trial on a dozen counts of wire fraud and aggravated identify theft against two business owners for defrauding three companies in a US$6 million contract for rights to scrap metal from a Six Flags amusement park
- Handled investigation of Oakland police officer involved in multiyear bribery scheme
- Prosecuted 38 individuals who had orchestrated a multi-million dollar health care fraud and money laundering scheme across California
- Prosecuted 11 defendant racketeering enterprise for multiple counts of murder, attempted murder, sex trafficking and child sex trafficking
- Prosecuted members of Hells Angels motorcycle gang for racketeering conspiracy involving murder, multiple instances of assault, robbery, extortion and witness tampering
- Prosecuted digital currency exchange for federal money laundering and operating an unlicensed money service business
- Assistant United States Attorney, Northern District of California (2011-2017)
- Assistant District Attorney, San Francisco Attorney's Office (2009-2011)