Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Dan Bookin is a seasoned litigator who specializes in representing companies and independent board committees in internal investigations. He represents clients in a wide variety of civil, criminal and administrative proceedings, including numerous clients in internal, grand jury, SEC, and administrative investigations and criminal and civil suits relating to securities fraud, trade and antitrust violations, tax offenses, healthcare fraud, mail fraud, wire fraud, money laundering, violations of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, government procurement fraud, political corruption, and environmental crimes.
Dan represents companies and executives across a variety of industries including the financial, securities, high tech, airline, defense, education and healthcare sectors.
Corporate & Government Experience
Assistant United States Attorney
- Southern District of New York
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a Senior Statespeople by Chambers USA in Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (2023)
- Ranked by Chambers USA for Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (2022)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® (2021-2023) for Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, and Criminal Defense: White-Collar in San Francisco, CA; Daniel has been listed in Best Lawyers® since 2003
- Recognized as a "California - Litigation Star" and "Local Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation in White Collar Crime, Product Liability and Recall (2021-2023)
- Recognized as a top criminal lawyer in California by California Lawyer
- Annually included in numerous ranking guides as one of the country’s best white collar lawyers, including International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, Chambers USA, and The Legal 500 US
- Named a “Best FCPA Lawyer” by Main Justice Politics, Policy & The Law
- Included in Northern California Super Lawyers
- US District Court, Central, Eastern, and Northern Districts of California
- US Court of Appeals, Second and Ninth Circuits
- US Supreme Court
- Yale University, J.D.
- University of Iowa, B.A.
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Honorable Charles B. Renfrew, US District Court, Northern District of California
- Numerous companies and board committees in internal investigations, including one of the largest energy companies in the United States, numerous high tech companies, and one of California’s largest utilities
- The Audit Committee of one of the largest casino companies in the world in an FCPA investigation regarding its operations in China
- The San Francisco Giants in a variety of matters, including the investigations concerning performance enhancing drugs by the Department of Justice, Congress and Major League Baseball's Mitchell Commission
- Head of Mergers and Acquisitions Tax Department of Big Four Accounting Firm in Securities and Exchange Commission insider trading investigation, where SEC dismissed all charges after commencement of litigation
- Numerous companies with criminal and civil issues in China
- Major US airline in criminal investigation
- Leading US investment bank in criminal investigation
- Leading US investment banks in securities class actions
- Franklin Templeton Investments in numerous state and federal investigations related to the mutual fund industry
- Numerous Board Audit Committees and Special Committees in connection with internal investigations
- Alaska Airlines in a federal criminal investigation arising out of a fatal air crash
- Visa International in multi-district federal and state litigation regarding Internet gambling
- Visa International, MasterCard International, and a variety of banks in numerous court actions against large national and international credit card fraud operations
- Northrop executive in Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Korean bribery, grand jury, and Congressional investigations
- An oil refinery in the criminal investigation of employee deaths resulting from a refinery explosion
- A wide variety of federal prosecutions, including those involving organized crime’s control of the New York waterfront and the Fulton Fish Market (Assistant US Attorney for the Southern District of New York)