David Makarechian is Chair of O’Melveny’s Emerging Technologies Group and Head of O’Melveny’s Northern California Corporate Department. He has more than twenty-five years of experience in mergers & acquisitions, focused on representing acquirers and targets in the technology and emerging growth company sectors, in Silicon Valley, nationally and internationally. His clients include public and private companies, venture capital and private equity investors, multinational corporations in cross border transactions and sovereign wealth funds. His practice also includes joint ventures, corporate governance and 1934 Act reporting of public companies, and the representation of venture-backed companies and venture capital and private equity investors.
David has served as lead counsel in hundreds of mergers and acquisitions, ranging in size from $1 million to $4 billion, as well as numerous venture capital, angel and private-equity financings, and a significant number of recapitalizations, public offerings and other transactions in the technology sector. David’s practice focuses on security, identity management, augmented and virtual reality, semiconductor, optics and other hardware, technology enabled services and software of all types including enterprise SaaS, AI, cloud, data analytics, mobile and consumer internet, clean energy, battery and storage. David also has experience with companies in the food-tech and ag-tech sectors, as well as growth companies in food and beverage and retail.
David has significant experience with transactions involving South and South East Asia, having co-founded O’Melveny’s Singapore office and serving as a member of O’Melveny’s Asia Practice for approximately five years. He has represented international private equity and venture capital funds, sovereign wealth funds, international investment banks and multinational companies in transactions in the region, with a focus on Singapore, Indonesia and India. He earned recognition as one of the top international lawyers in Singapore in the areas of Corporate/M&A and International Capital Markets from Chambers & Partners, the International Financial Law Review and Legal 500.
David is recognized for his ability to provide experienced guidance and practical solutions on business and legal issues. Chambers & Partners describes him as a “professional and detail-oriented” lawyer who also is “very cool and pragmatic,” and Legal 500 cites clients who praise him as “responsive, diligent, and thorough.”
Prior to joining O’Melveny, David was a partner in the Palo Alto office of another AmLaw 50 Law Firm.
Corporate & Government Experience
Vice President and General Counsel
- 24/7 Customer, Inc., a technology-enabled services company with approximately 9,000 employees in the US, Asia and Latin America (2006-2008)
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by IFLR1000 as a "Leading Lawyer" (2017) and "Highly Regarded" (2018-2020) in Capital Markets
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1993
- Colorado College, B.A., 1988
- Start-Up Sandbox, Santa Cruz, California. A business incubator associated with the University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Silicon Catalyst, Santa Clara, California. The world’s only incubator focused exclusively on accelerating solutions in silicon.
- “Advanced Venture Capital 2019,” Practicising Law Institute (October 2019)
- Legal Issues Facing Venture-Backed Start-Ups: Silicon Catalyst (June 2019).
- Faculty Member, PLI’s Advanced Venture Capital Institute, “M&A Exits of Venture Backed Companies” (October 2018).
- Panelist, “Best Practices in Internet and Mobile Mergers & Acquisitions,” 15th Annual Stanford E- Commerce Best Practices Conference (June 2018).
- “Founders Series: Working with your Board of Directors,” Silicon Catalyst (February 2018).
- “Startup Law 101,” Startup Sandbox (February 2018).