Gabriel L. Olivera
Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Gabriel Olivera is a counsel in O’Melveny’s New York office and focuses on advising clients on financial reorganizations. A native of Puerto Rico, Gabriel combines his restructuring experience with his Spanish-speaking ability to help bridge language and cultural barriers with Latin American clients involved in complex financial restructurings. He has extensive experience in corporate and municipal bankruptcy-related matters, and has represented debtors, creditors’ committees, bondholders, directors and officers, and other parties-in-interest in some of the most well-known bankruptcy matters. Gabriel is currently part of the O’Melveny team assisting the Government of Puerto Rico to restructure its $70 billion of funded debt obligations and $50 billion in pension obligations.
Prior to entering private practice, Gabriel served as judicial law clerk for the Honorable Brian K. Tester (Ret.) formerly of the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Puerto Rico.
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- Puerto Rico
- US District Courts, New Jersey, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York, Puerto Rico, and Eastern District of Wisconsin
- US Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- Tulane University, J.D.
- Boston University, B.A., International Relations
- Honorable Brian K. Tester, US Bankruptcy Court, District of Puerto Rico (2014-2016)
Fellowships & Honors
- 2022 International Insolvency Institute NextGen Leadership Program Inductee
- 2021 Hon. Cornelius Blackshear NCBJ Presidential Fellow
- 2020 Associate Leadership Institute of the New York City Bar Association
Represented the following government entities in either in-court or out-of-court debt restructurings:
- Puerto Rico Fiscal Agency and Financial Advisory Authority, as representative of the:
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- Employees’ Retirement System of the Government of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- Puerto Rico Public Buildings Authority
- Puerto Rico Highways and Transportation Authority
- Puerto Rico Infrastructure Financing Authority
- Puerto Rico Convention Center District Authority
- Puerto Rico Public Finance Corporation
- Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority
- City of Long Beach, New York
Represented indenture trustee in the following chapter 11 cases:
- Grupo Aeroméxico, S.A.B. de C.V.
Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the following Chapter 11 cases:
- Gibson Brands, Inc.
- Fred’s, Inc.
- SportCo Holdings, Inc.
- Cenveo, Inc.
- Mission Coal Company, LLC
- Orchids Paper Products Co.