Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Jeff Hoffner’s practice focuses on advising cutting-edge companies involved in acquiring, developing, constructing, and financing energy projects—particularly renewable energy projects—throughout the United States and around the world.
He has represented numerous investors, developers, lenders, and other innovators, as well as several clients in the emerging liquefied natural gas market.
Jeff also has an active practice with respect to real estate and commercial construction projects, particularly for energy developments, as well as warehouse and distribution centers, new building and facility constructions, and road and rail infrastructure projects.
Jeff is recognized as a 2015 “Leading Lawyer” by IFLR 1000 and was acknowledged in 2014 as a “Rising Star” by IFLR 1000 in the area of Project Finance.
Honors & Awards
- Recommended by The Legal 500 US in the area of Energy: Renewable/Alternative (2017-2022) and Finance: Project Finance (2018-2019)
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by IFLR1000 in Project Finance (2017-2021); Industry Sectors: Banking, Energy (2019-2021); and a Notable Practitioner in Project Finance (2021)
- Harvard University, J.D.: cum laude; Harvard Negotiation Law Review
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, B.S., Economics: Benenson Scholar for Studies in the Constitutional Tradition
- Energy Editorial Advisory Board Member, Law360
- "Inflation Reduction Act," 2023 Spring Investment Forum (April 2023)
- Represented Apollo Investment Corporation in connection with its commitment to provide approximately $650 million in funding for residential solar rooftop systems throughout the United States to be originated and developed by Sungevity, Inc
- Citicorp North America and Berkshire Hathaway Energy in connection with the US$390 million South Plains Wind Energy II power project being developed by SunEdison, Inc. in Floyd County, Texas
- Citicorp North America and Berkshire Hathaway Energy in connection with the US$219 million Shannon wind power project being developed by Alterra Power Corp. and Starwood Energy Group in Clay and Jack Counties, Texas
- Macquarie Infrastructure Company, Edison Mission Energy and other major developers of, and lenders to, renewable energy projects in the potential acquisition, development, construction and financing of over 65 utility-sized renewable energy-generation facilities throughout the United States representing nearly 5,000 MW
- Entegra Power Group in the sale of a 550 MW natural gas power block and 25% interest in all related common facilities to Tucson Electric Power Company and UNS Electric, Inc
- Morgan Stanley and Santander in connection with the approximately US$180 million Route 66 wind project being developed by First Wind Energy
- Morgan Stanley and MUFG in connection with the approximately US$220 million South Plains wind power project being developed by First Wind Energy
- Southern California Edison Company in the financing of numerous natural gas, wind, and solar energy projects from which it purchases electricity
- Southern California Edison Company in connection with a master power purchase and wind project development agreement providing 1,500 MW of renewable energy
- A large South Korean conglomerate in connection with an investment in, and potential offtake from, several North American liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facilities
- Lockheed Martin in connection with the development of offshore thermal energy conversion facilities
- Numerous wind energy project participants in connection with turbine supply agreements, warranty agreements and service and maintenance agreements, as well as serial defect work-outs, with most major wind-turbine manufacturers, including GE, Siemens, Vestas, Mitsubishi, Suzlon, and Clipper
- Numerous renewable energy projects (including wind, solar and geothermal) in connection with engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contracts, in total representing more than 1,200 MW
- Several energy projects in connection with co-tenancy, joint use, and transmission sharing arrangements
- Campari America in connection with the development and construction of a distillery and bottling plant in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
- HCP, Inc. in connection with the acquisition of a portfolio of 12 on-campus medical office buildings in six states pursuant to a contribution to a DownREIT entity
- A large New York real estate trust in connection with the acquisition of a portfolio of 322 REO-to-rental properties
- The State of California (Department of Transportation) in the potential upgrade of several large rail infrastructure facilities throughout the state
- A large investor-owned utility in the potential acquisition of a publicly owned municipal utility
- A large financial institution in connection with the financing of a 49 MW geothermal facility in Nevada
- Caesar’s in connection with the construction of a casino expansion and related facilities in Las Vegas, Nevada
- ValueRock Realty Partners in connection with commercial and retail shopping centers in several states
- Alameda Corridor Transportation Authority in connection with rail improvements in and around the Port of Los Angeles and the Port of Long Beach
- Fannie Mae in connection with the credit enhancement of over 25 low-income-housing bond issuances