Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Laura Smith concentrates her practice on commercial bankruptcy. She regularly represents debtors, lenders, creditors, and trustees under chapter 11 and 7 of the Bankruptcy Code.
Laura’s practice also includes litigation and adversary proceedings. She has significant experience representing lessors, landlords, financial institutions, official committees, and trustees in chapter 11 and chapter 7 bankruptcy cases.
- Southern Methodist University, J.D.: cum laude; Duberstein Bankruptcy Moot Court Team
- Boston University, B.S.: summa cum laude
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (2021)
- The Honorable John C. Ford American Inn of Court
- DFW Association of Young Bankruptcy Lawyers
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
- "Decentralized Autonomous Organizations (DAOs): Overview," Thomson Reuters Practical Law (November 2022)
- Co-author, “INSIGHT: Resolving federal tax disputes in bankruptcy,” Bloomberg Tax (2020)
- Author, “Keeping up with the Joneses: In bold cross-border move, the DIFC enacts new insolvency law,” Norton Rose Fulbright International Restructuring Newswire (2019)
- “Crypto is Coming: Is Bankruptcy Ready?,” ABI Southeast Conference (July 2022)
- “Bankruptcy Tips for the Non-Bankruptcy Practitioner,” Dallas Bar Association (2021)
- State Bar of Texas Bankruptcy Section CLE Webinar: “Getting the Real Estate Deal Done” (2020)
- The Chambers/Bankruptcy Bench Bar Conference (2019)
- The Honorable Stacey G. C. Jernigan of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Represents Brazos Electric Power Cooperative, Inc. in its chapter 11 bankruptcy case.
- Represents large creditor in chapter 11 bankruptcy case of Mallinckrodt PLC and certain affiliates.
- Represented official committee of unsecured creditors in restructuring of the National Rifle Association of America and Sea Girt LLC.
- Represented 62 debtors in chapter 7 liquidation proceeding.
- Represented official committee of unsecured creditors of multi-debtor movie theatre operator.
- Represented official committee of unsecured creditors of a publicly-traded medical device company.
- Represented secured lender in Boy Scouts of America restructuring.
- Represented secured lender in multi-debtor chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding involving franchisor of Mr. Gatti’s Pizza and GiGi’s Cupcakes.
- Represented Chapter 7 trustee in an appeal regarding the issue of personal jurisdiction over a defendant in an adversary proceeding.
- Represented publicly-traded medical device company in chapter 11 case which resulted in the successful sale of substantially all of the debtor’s assets and confirmation of a liquating plan.
- Represented secured lender in multi-debtor chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding involving one of the largest networks of company-owned and franchised fitness centers in the world.
- Represented Chapter 7 trustee as special counsel for purposes of pursuing potential fraudulent transfer claims against various parties.