Matt has been recognized as one of the nation’s top lawyers and deal makers by the prominent industry and mainstream publications. The Hollywood Reporter honored him as a “Power Lawyer,” praising him as a “new kind of [industry] lawyer – an entertainment-tech hybrid.” Variety has named him an “Elite Dealmaker,” an “Impact Lawyer,” and a “NY Elite Dealmaker.”
The National Law Journal gave him the Trailblazer Award for driving industry change in the Sports, Gaming & Entertainment fields. Chambers USA and The Legal 500 praised Matt’s unique combination of tech expertise and “on the ground” industry experience working in-house for delivering “unique insights” to clients on complex business and operational matters.
In addition to having been a partner at leading law firms, Matt has also worked in-house, giving him unique insight into the technology, media, and entertainment industries. He gained diverse experience working at organizations such as Major League Baseball, News Corporation, and TiVo, Inc. He also served as lead counsel on secondment to Paramount Global’s MTV Games division where he helped launch the Rock Band video game franchise.
Matt is a recognized authority on the business and legal aspects of emerging technologies, interactive entertainment, and intellectual property rights. In addition to speaking regularly on these topics, he has authored books on technology transactions, contributed articles to major publications, and been quoted in The New York Times as an expert on commercial law. He has also served on high-profile panels and has been a keynote speaker at industry conferences including DCM East, Global Latin America Marketing Summit, and the Copyright Society of the USA.
A graduate of Georgetown University, Matt received his J.D. from the University of California, Berkeley.
Areas of Focus
- Software, Hardware, and IT Solutions. IT-driven technology, systems, solutions, applications, hardware, content, platform, and data services, including integration, hosting, development, monetization, implementation, support, and integration
- Interactive Entertainment, E-Sports, and Gaming. Augmented and virtual reality, artificial intelligence, interactive entertainment, video game, casino, and land-based gaming development, e-sports partnerships, and merchandising arrangements
- Digital Media, Distribution and Platforms. Film, television, and digital content licensing, distribution, monetization, and exploitation across mobile, online, OTT, device, and connected TV platforms.
- AdTech, Marketing, and Data Solutions. Advanced digital marketing and “ad tech” solutions, including DAI, ACR, OEM integrations, fingerprint, identification, and recognition technology, measurement and metadata analytics/metrics, DSP solutions, and digital ad placement and sales.
- Fintech, Cryptocurrency, and Digital Assets. Financial services-driven payments, banking, cryptocurrency, and card solutions, including NFT, wallet, merchant, gateway, fraud detection, tax engine, e-commerce, and emerging fintech solutions (e.g., blockchain).
- Outsourcing, Professional, and Managed Services. Cross-border outsourcing, professional and managed service agreements for financial, accounting, assurance, back office, CRM, product manufacturing, and data analytics-based services and platforms.
- IoT, Hardware and Manufacturing. Device, hardware, component, and connected-product manufacturing, distribution, procurement, logistics, transport, and shipping transactions, including IoT and next generation technology integration.
- Data Collection, Privacy, and Cybersecurity. Data privacy, IT, and cybersecurity matters, including data collection, processing, transfer and disclosure requirements, monetization, sourcing and warehousing arrangements, and internal and consumer-facing privacy policies.
- Strategic Alliances, and Corporate Arrangements. Joint ventures, strategic alliances, share and asset transactions, mergers, business combinations, co-branding and collaboration agreements, employment and independent contractor agreements, and other corporate arrangements.