Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Peter Breckheimer advises clients in all aspects of their real estate-related transactions, having represented private equity funds, pension funds, REITs, developers, municipalities, owners and other investors in connection with all aspects of their commercial acquisition/disposition, leasing, development and financing needs. He is highly experienced in handling:
- The acquisition and disposition of major commercial real estate assets, including retail, office, industrial and multi-family properties.
- Commercial leasing and ground leasing transactions representing both landlords and tenants primarily in office leasing, with experience in industrial and retail leasing as well.
- The development and redevelopment of major commercial real estate assets, including marquee municipally-owned entertainment venues and marinas in Los Angeles and Orange Counties.
- Real estate secured financings and work-outs representing both lenders and borrowers.
Peter has successfully advised clients in the purchase, sale and financing of retail shopping centers nationwide, and has handled in excess of US$1.75 billion of such deals throughout the West Coast, with individual asset values ranging from US$5 million to just under US$200 million.
He is recognized by Super Lawyers in Southern California each year since 2015, and is an inaugural member of Law360’s Real Estate Editorial Advisory Board and served in that capacity for several years. He is a board member of, and actively speaks at, the USC Real Estate Law and Business Forum.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in Southern California by Super Lawyers (2015-2021)
- University of Southern California, J.D.
- University of Southern California, B.A., International Relations and French: magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers, elected 2019
- USC Real Estate Law and Business Forum, Executive Board Member and Planning Committee Member
- Law360 Real Estate Editorial Advisory Board, 2013-Present
- USC Alumni Real Estate Network, Programming Co-Chair
- Hillsides, H100 Member
- Men’s Guild, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- California Bar Association, Real Property Section
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Real Property Section
- Urban Land Institute, Associate Member
- Building Owners and Managers Association International, former Governmental Affairs Board Member
- Moderator, “Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Mall: Challenges and Aspirations,” USC Gould School of Law's 2023 Real Estate Law and Business Forum (March 2, 2023)
- Moderator, “Retail R/Evolution: How Shopping Malls and Big Box Retailers Are Adapting to the New Realities of Retail,” USC Gould School of Law’s 2018 Real Estate Law and Business Forum (April 12, 2018)
- Organizer, “Transportation’s Technology Revolution and its Impact on Real Estate,” USC’s Alumni Real Estate Network Fall Signature Panel (November 14, 2017)
- Moderator, “Breaking Up Is Hard To Do: Litigation Risks in Real Estate Partnerships and Equity Investments in Real Estate,” USC Gould School of Law’s 2017 Real Estate Law and Business Forum, (March 9, 2017)
- Moderator, “Avoiding Ethical or Fiduciary Traps: The Real Estate Transactional Attorney’s Guide to Navigating the Ethical and Fiduciary Minefield,” USC Gould School of Law’s 2016 Real Estate Law and Business Forum (March 10, 2016)
- Panelist, “Subordination, Non-Disturbance and Attornment Agreements from the Lender, Borrower and Tenant Perspective,” State Bar of California Real Property Law Section Seminar (January 26, 2016)
- Moderator, “What Works (and Doesn’t) in Real Property Contracts,” USC Gould School of Law’s 2015 Real Estate Law and Business Forum (March 12, 2015)
- Represented a pension fund in connection with all aspects of leasing Class-A office buildings in gateway cities located in California, Washington, and Washington, DC.
- Represented a private equity real estate investment trust in connection with acquisitions of fee-owned and ground leased regional shopping centers located in California, Oregon, and Washington with a value totaling more than US$1.75 billion.
- Represented Orange County in connection with US$340 million redevelopment of the retail, hotel, and marine components of Dana Point Harbor, California.
- Represented Los Angeles County in connection with the renegotiation of the Hollywood Bowl, Ford Theatres, Performing Arts Center, and Pomona Fairplex ground leases.
- Represented Los Angeles County in connection with US$650 million redevelopment of the iconic Los Angeles County Museum of Arts.
- Represented private equity firm in connection with acquisition, leasing, and financing of more than 20 office buildings located throughout the US, including acquisition of a US$380 million portfolio of 13 office buildings in Dallas, Texas.
- Represented institutional landlord in leasing marquee Class-A office buildings in San Francisco, including the Transamerica Pyramid.
- Represented high net worth individuals and family offices in connection with the acquisition and disposition of numerous single-tenant, triple net leased properties throughout the United States.
- Represented the partnership of medical doctors in leasing medical office buildings in Santa Monica.
- Represented a private owner of retail gasoline stations in connection with the long-term lease of its portfolio of more than 240 gas stations to a publicly traded oil company.
- Represented a borrower in connection with its US$1.44 billion CMBS loan covering a portfolio of 29 Class A office properties.
- Represented several institutional lenders in connection with deed-in-lieu of foreclosure transactions for office and retail properties.