Shara C. Venezia-Walerstein
Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Shara Venezia-Walerstein is an experienced mass tort litigator and coordinating attorney. She has unique expertise and case management skills in leading complex tort litigation, with knowledge of both federal and state MDL proceedings. In this specialized role, Shara oversees multifaceted MDLs from start to finish, leading the joint defense strategy and communications to ensure consistency and coordination among national counsel. She has played a critical role in developing and administering multiple high-profile mass tort settlements.
Shara also has nearly a decade of experience as a litigator in the white collar criminal defense and corporate investigations practice. She is a trusted advisor to pharmaceutical and medical device companies and their executives and employees, financial institutions, and health care organizations involved in regulatory, enforcement, and compliance matters.
Shara has represented individuals and companies in corporate internal investigations and criminal and regulatory matters, including investigations by the Department of Justice, the New York Attorney General, state attorneys general in multidistrict litigation, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and other financial regulatory organizations.
Shara is also actively involved in O’Melveny’s pro bono practice. She represents clients in criminal and civil matters in federal court and in immigration proceedings.
- New York
- US District Court, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of New York
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 2012: cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., Political Science, 2008: magna cum laude
- Federal Bar Council, Inn of Court
- Honorable Paul G. Gardephe, US District Court, Southern District of New York (2011)
- “The Sunshine Act for Corporate Contributions Professionals,” ACCP Webinar (January 2016)
- National coordinating counsel for major pharmaceutical company in thousands of opioid-related lawsuits pending in a federal multidistrict litigation and state courts throughout the country
- Key leader in developing and implementing high-profile mass tort settlement to resolve claims of consumer fraud and false advertisement relating to marketing of prescription pain medications
- Representing hip-hop artist and producer Travis Scott and coordinating complex multidistrict litigation involving mass tort claims arising from the 2021 Astroworld Festival
- Represented a leading pharmaceutical and consumer goods company, and its subsidiaries, in a consumer protection act investigation brought by 48 state attorneys general related to its metal-on-metal hip replacement systems, and separately helped its subsidiary negotiate a favorable settlement with the Oregon attorney general, which instituted its own investigation
- Represented a leading international pharmaceutical company in an investigation by the US Department of Justice into the company's charitable giving
- Represented a leading financial institution in regulatory inquiries in response to high-profile and quick-paced New York Attorney General, SEC, and FINRA investigations; representing and preparing individual witnesses for on the record testimony; leading and managing large document reviews
- Regularly represents pharmaceutical companies in internal investigations
- Advises senior executives of a pharmaceutical company regarding compliance matters and financial transparency reporting requirements
Illustrative Pro Bono Experience
- Significant experience representing clients in immigration-related proceedings such as SIJS, naturalization, U-Visa, and TPS
- Provided multiple pro bono representations in the S.D.N.Y. and E.D.N.Y. pursuant to the Criminal Justice Act
- Negotiated a successful settlement agreement with City of New York in a pro bono 1983 prisoners' rights case
- Represented holocaust survivors to receive deserved pension payments for work performed in ghettos