Waqas A. Akmal
Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Waqas A. Akmal is a member of O’Melveny’s Litigation and White Collar Defense & Corporate Investigations practices. He is a skilled litigator who holds a wealth of experience representing corporations and individual clients in government enforcement actions, internal investigations, and complex commercial litigation matters.
Waqas conducts internal investigations and represents clients facing civil and criminal liability. He also handles a broad range of cases at all stages of civil litigation. Prior to joining O’Melveny, he earned recognition in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in the area of Commercial Litigation and received the 2019 Humanitarian Award from the ACLU of Southern California.
- University of California at Berkeley, J.D.: Senior Articles Editor, Berkeley Technology Law Journal
- University of Southern California, M.P.A.: Dean’s Certificate of Merit
- University of Southern California, B.A.: History, Political Science; summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- United States Attorney’s Office, Civil Fraud Division, Central District of California
- The Honorable Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers, US District Court, Northern District of California
- Represented a Fortune 100 financial institution in parallel investigations by the DOJ, SEC and other regulators.
- Counseled a Big Four accounting firm in an internal investigation involving a fraudulent audit report.
- Represented a media and entertainment company in an SEC investigation relating to insider trading.
- Defended a global nutrition company in an action brought by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Successfully represented a biotech company in a ten-day JAMS arbitration in a breach of contract action.
- Obtained a trial victory for a large investment management firm in a three-day judicial reference proceeding.