Bill Sushon focuses on securities class actions, shareholder derivative lawsuits, hostile takeover litigation, partnership disputes, breach-of-contract actions, bankruptcy litigation and a host of other matters. He has appeared in state and federal courts throughout the country on behalf of Fortune 100 companies, their officers and directors, alternative-asset management entities, investment partnerships, underwriters, and other sophisticated commercial clients.
Over the years, Bill has also developed a significant practice advising clients on litigation avoidance strategies and disclosure issues, as well as litigation advice in complex mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactions. For example, Bill has advised several potential acquirers in their efforts to terminate merger agreements under material adverse effect clauses. He has also given pre-litigation advice to several major financial institutions in disputes concerning securities-lending programs, collateralized debt obligations, mortgage-backed securities, and similar investments.
Honors & Awards
- Recommended by Legal 500 for Dispute Resolution: Securities Litigation - Defense (2016-2017), Litigation - Securities: Shareholder Litigation (2010-2011, 2015), and Finance - Financial Services: Litigation (2012)
- US District Court, District of Colorado, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- US Court of Appeals, Second, Third, Fifth, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits
- US Supreme Court
- Columbia University, J.D., 1995: Stone Scholar
- Dartmouth College, A.B., Government, 1992: cum laude; Presidential Scholar
- “Shifting Sands: Practical Advice on Delaware Fee-Shifting Bylaws,” New York Law Journal, with Samantha Brutlag and Edward N. Moss (August 11, 2014)
- “Taking A Stand,” New York Law Journal, September 6, with Allen Burton (2011)
- “The Securities Act, Underwriters and the Due Diligence Defense,” New York Law Journal, with Brad Butwin and Asher Rivner (February 15, 2010)
- “New York Landscape Affected by Subtle Change,” New York Law Journal, with Jonathan Rosenberg (December 16, 2002)
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Committee on Professional and Judicial Ethics (2002-2013); Secretary (1997-2002)