As head of O’Melveny’s Tokyo office, Yoji Maeda’s broad practice covers business trial and litigation, labor and employment matters, and merger and acquisition work. Leveraging his experience with both US and Japanese courts, Yoji handles litigation and arbitrations for clients domestically and internationally. He creates complex litigation strategies for mass tort cases and for labor disputes before Japanese courts and labor commissions. Non-Japanese companies frequently look to Yoji for advice on how to structure labor and employment agreements in accordance with Japanese laws.
In addition to his trial experience, Yoji advises on merger and acquisition and private equity transactions, primarily on inbound cross-border investments. Yoji has a wealth of experience and is considered one of the leading legal advisors on M&A transactions in Japan.
A native and citizen of Japan, Yoji received his LL.B. degree in Law from the Faculty of Law, Tokyo University, in 1988. He also received his LL.M. degree from the University of Virginia Law School in 1994. He passed the pre-bar examination in 1987 and received his law degree from the Legal Research and Training Institute of the Supreme Court of Japan in 1990. He is admitted to practice in Japan and New York.
Honors & Awards
- Named a “Litigation Star” in Commercial & Transactions by Benchmark Litigation (2022-2023)
- Dispute Resolution in Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Global
- Dispute Resolution in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Leading individual for Labour and Employment in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Local Disputes Star - Japan for Arbitration, General Commercial and Labor and Employment in Benchmark Litigation
- Leading lawyer in Japan in Asialaw Leading Lawyers
- Notable practitioner for Employment in Chambers Asia-Pacific
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Japan for Labor and Employment, Arbitration and Mediation, International Arbitration, and Litigation
- University of Virginia, LL.M., 1994
- University of Tokyo, LL.B., 1988
- Author of many books and articles covering a variety of areas, including FCPA, antitrust, M&A, product liability, civil procedure, and employment law
- Dai-ni Tokyo Bar Association