Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Ashwin Gokhale helps public and private technology companies navigate through technology transactions and licensing matters. He draws on his prior experience leading a legal team at a high-growth venture-backed company and his business experience working for various other startups in Silicon Valley to provide practical solutions to the legal and business challenges his clients face.
He regularly negotiates and advises technology companies on a range of intellectual property licensing and other commercial transactions, including agreements for software and hardware development and licensing, manufacturing and distribution, advertising and marketing, patent licensing, mergers and acquisitions and venture capital investments.
Ashwin counsels a broad range of clients—from large public companies to startups and emerging companies—across the tech sector, including AI and machine learning, AdTech and digital media, web services, e-commerce, EdTech, healthcare IT, software, computer hardware and alternative energy.
- University of San Francisco, J.D.: 2006, Member, University of San Francisco Law Review
- University of California at Berkeley, B.A: 2000
- The Honorable Susan Illston, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- “Finality of Conviction, the Right to Appeal, and Deportation under Montenegro v. Ashcroft: The Case of the Dog That Did Not Bark,” 40 University of San Francisco Law Review 241 (2005)
- Recognized for Media, Technology and Telecoms: Outsourcing and Transactions in The Legal 500 US (2016–2018)
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" in the technology transactions category in Northern California Super Lawyers (2013–2018)
- Hewlett-Packard Enterprise in settlement of patent litigation with ServiceNow
- SanDisk in settlement of trade secret litigation with SK Hynix
- Several agreements for a variety of clients settling patent litigation brought against them by non-practicing entities, including on behalf of Xero Inc. and Millennium Pharmaceuticals.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Orbitera in its acquisition by Google
- Kountermove in its acquisition by DraftKings
- RedHat in the acquisitions of InkTank Storage and ManageIQ
- Seeo in its acquisition by Bosch
- Epizyme in the reacquisition of EZH2oncology program rights from Eisai
- Incyte Corporation in the negotiation of a strategic alliance with Agenus Inc. to develop immuno-oncology antibodies
- Roche in a collaboration with Pacific Biosciences
University Licensing and Collaborations
- Several startups in patent licensing agreements covering foundational technology with the University of California
- Brightfield Technologies in patent license with Johns Hopkins University
- Various tech companies with patent licensing and sponsored research agreements with universities including CalTech, Stanford University, the University of Utah and the University of Delaware
Machine Learning / AI
- Metamind in licensing agreements and transactional advice, including the company's acquisition by Salesforce.com
- Pilot AI Labs in various agreements relating to the company's machine learning-based computer vision technology
- Cape Analytics in licensing matters
- Broadcom in licensing and collaboration agreements
- Intel Corporation in a variety of patent-related matters
- Lion Semiconductor in several development and licensing agreements
- TiVo Inc. in numerous licensing, collaboration and distribution agreements