Denis Brock is the Chair of O'Melveny's International Disputes and Arbitration Practice and the regional head of the Asia Litigation Practice. He concentrates his practice on commercial and corporate arbitration, litigation, and regulatory investigations.
Denis is regularly recognised as a leading dispute resolution and insurance practitioner in Asia and the UK. He is currently ranked as “Band 1” by Chambers Asia in dispute resolution and has equivalent ranking with other relevant legal directories. He is an Advocate in England & Wales and an Advocate in Hong Kong.
Denis draws on years of experience handling corporate and joint venture disputes, partnership issues, commodities and resources disputes, professional negligence claims (particularly against accountants, brokers, and lawyers), banking and finance litigation, insurance matters, and regulatory issues.
Denis is a Fellow of CIArb and is regularly appointed as arbitrator. He appears as counsel in arbitrations including those under the administration of the LCIA, HKIAC, CIETAC, and ICC.
Honors & Awards
Chambers Asia-Pacific (2019-2021): Band 2 for Insurance: Contentious (International Firms)
- Denis Brock is a well-respected commercial litigator and has vast experience handling contentious insurance cases, particularly in connection with D&O and professional indemnity claims. A client comments: "He is a very strategic thinker, somebody who, if you go to him with a difficult problem, is always good at finding solutions, which is why we always go to him."
Chambers Asia-Pacific (2019-2021): Band 1 for Dispute Resolution: Litigation (International Firms)
- Impressed sources describe practice head Denis Brock as a "bright and hard-working" litigator who "needs no introduction." He has extensive experience in handling commercial disputes and regularly advises clients on cases spanning professional negligence, joint venture and shareholder issues, banking litigation and fraud. Sources comment: "Denis can always be counted on to provide sage counsel and advice."
Chambers Asia-Pacific (2019-2021): Leading Litigator: Band 4 for Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (International Firms)
- Denis Brock leads the international disputes and arbitration practice at O'Melveny & Myers and possesses wide-ranging expertise across in the dispute resolution space. He handles a range of commercial arbitration cases arising out of shareholder and joint venture disputes, and breach of commercial contracts. One client says: "He is a very strategic thinker, somebody who is always good at finding solutions if you go to him with a difficult problem."
Chambers Global 2016-2021, Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (International Firms), Dispute Resolution (International Firms)
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2019, Dispute Resolution Star for Commercial and Transactions, International Arbitration
Who's Who Legal 2018-2019, Recommended in Litigation
Who's Who Legal 2019, Thought Leader
- Hong Kong (Solicitor-Advocate)
- England & Wales (Solicitor-Advocate)
- New Zealand
- New York
- Singapore International Commercial Court (Registration of Foreign Lawyers)
- University of London, LL.B. (Honours)
- University of Hong Kong, LL.M. (Distinction)
- Law Society of Hong Kong (Council Member: 2000 to 2006, 2011 to date)
- ICC-HK Arbitration & ADR Committee
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Law Society of Ireland
- Panel of Arbitrators, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- Panel of Arbitrators for Financial Services Disputes, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- Panel of Arbitrators, Singapore International Arbitration Centre
- Panel of Arbitrators, Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators (FHKIArb)
- Arbitration in Hong Kong: A Practical Guide (second edition)
- Commercial Litigation in Hong Kong: A Practical Guide
- Arbitration in Singapore: A Practical Guide
- “The ‘Pay As You Go’ Principle in Deciding Costs: A Powerful Tool in the Arbitral Tribunal’s Case Management Arsenal,” Asian Dispute Review, April 2021
- ADR in Business; Insurance Law and Practice in Hong Kong
- Enforcement of Foreign Judgments
- The White Book: Hong Kong Civil Procedure
- Due Process in International Arbitration virtual roundtable
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association annual conferences
- ADR in Asia conferences in Hong Kong
- In-House Congress conferences in Asia’ HKIAC roadshow to India: Bridging Asia’s Leading International Arbitration Destination with Asia’s Rising Economic Powerhouse
- HKIAC’s Complex Issues in International Arbitration
- SIAC’s conference in London: The Marco Polo Effect - The role of Singapore in the Euro-Asian legal eco-system
- SIAC’s conference in New York: The Marco Polo Effect - Arbitrations and Contracts with Chinese, Indian, and ASEAN Parties
- Guest Lecture on Insurance Law, The University of Hong Kong
- Guest Lecture on Arbitration, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- O’Melveny Presents Seminar in Hong Kong: India-Hong Kong Tax Treaty, Opportunities for Business and Drafting Dispute Resolution Clauses with Indian Parties