Kieran Humphrey is a counsel in O’Melveny’s Hong Kong office and specializes in disputes, regulatory, and advisory matters across a broad range of industries.
He regularly acts in litigation and arbitration for financial institutions, multinationals, and listed companies. He has particular expertise in complex corporate, contractual, professional negligence, insurance and employment matters.
Kieran has recently acted in one of Hong Kong’s largest professional negligence litigations, a major shareholders’ claim in respect of a listed company, an international arbitration arising from a failed investment in a Chinese company, and a multi-million dollar dispute involving corporate espionage. He also assists parties and regulators on contentious regulatory investigations. This includes acting as counsel for a Hong Kong regulator to investigate and prosecute cases of non-compliance.
Kieran was nominated as a “Rising Star” for the region at AsiaLaw’s Asia Pacific Dispute Resolution Awards. He is also recognized by Chambers Asia and Legal 500 for his insurance expertise. His representative insurance matters include claims arising from the mis-selling of Lehman Brothers Minibonds, US class actions and major Asian litigation, and advising on the establishment of new insurance businesses in Hong Kong.
Kieran has been praised by leading legal directories as “particularly rated,” “a safe pair of hands and a very good operator,” inspires “a strong degree of confidence,” and “frequently assists with a broad array of high-profile contentious mandates”.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Chambers Asia-Pacific for Insurance: Contentious (International Firms) (2019)
- Nominated as a “Rising Star” for the region, AsiaLaw Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Awards
- “Up and Coming,” Chambers Asia
- “Next Generation,” Legal 500
- Hong Kong
- England & Wales
- Singapore International Commercial Court (Foreign Lawyer)
- High Court, Australia and South Wales
- High Court, Hong Kong
- High Court, United Kingdom, England and Wales
- University of Sydney, LL.B. (First Class Honours)
- University of Sydney, B.A. (History and Government & International Relations)
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association, Chair (2017) and Vice-Chair (2016) of the Insurance Committee
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Hong Kong Insurance Law Association
- Chartered Insurance Institute of Hong Kong
- Bullen & Leake & Jacob’s Precedents of Pleadings (Hong Kong edition)
- Emden’s Construction Law (Hong Kong edition)
- Lexis Nexis’ Litigation Practical Legal Guidance and Employment Practical Legal Guidance
- The White Book: Hong Kong Civil Procedure (2015 to 2017)