Thank you for your interest. Before you communicate with one of our attorneys, please note: Any comments our attorneys share with you are general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship will exist between you or your business and O’Melveny or any of its attorneys unless conflicts have been cleared, our management has given its approval, and an engagement letter has been signed. Meanwhile, you agree: we have no duty to advise you or provide you with legal assistance; you will not divulge any confidences or send any confidential or sensitive information to our attorneys (we are not in a position to keep it confidential and might be required to convey it to our clients); and, you may not use this contact to attempt to disqualify O’Melveny from representing other clients adverse to you or your business. By clicking "accept" you acknowledge receipt and agree to all of the terms of this paragraph and our Disclaimer.
Matt Cowan counsels clients through sensitive internal investigations, inquiries by federal and state enforcement authorities, and related criminal and civil litigation in the energy, technology, higher education, and financial services industries. He provides regulatory and governance advice to companies and Universities, and has considerable experience in complex e-discovery, compliance, and privacy matters. He devotes significant time to the Firm’s pro bono efforts. His recent pro bono work includes leading impact litigation on behalf of a certified class of plaintiffs seeking reform to Nevada’s system of indigent defense.
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of California at Los Angeles, B.A., Political Science
- “Federal Public Corruption Prosecution After ‘Bridgegate’,” The New York Law Journal with Nicole Argentieri (June 2020)
- Representing a leading global semiconductor company in the investigation of whistleblower allegations of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations.
- Defending one of the world’s largest automakers in connection with a criminal grand jury investigation.
- Counseling a Fortune 500 energy company in connection with US operational and environmental matters.
- Represented the Audit Committee of Mattel, Inc. in the investigation of whistleblower allegations concerning accounting, financial reporting and auditor independence issues.
- Represented the Special Committee of the Board of Directors for a public transportation authority in the investigation of whistleblower allegations of widespread fraudulent conduct by senior management.
- Represented a major league basketball franchise in connection with a high-profile workplace investigation.
- Represented a private University in connection with a high-profile investigation into its basketball program.
- Represented the Regents of the University of California and a Special Committee appointed by the Chancellor of UCLA to review and report on allegations of misconduct in the clinical health setting.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a national managed-care organization related to compliance with Medicare Advantage regulations and the federal anti-kickback statute.
- Represented the Board of Trustees of the University of Southern California in multiple high profile investigations and corporate governance issues.
- Represented the Board of CenturyLink in conducting a large-scale internal investigation of consumer sales and billing practices following whistleblower suit and regulatory, consumer, and shareholder litigation.
- Obtained a declination for an investment adviser in an SEC Pay-to-Play Rule investigation.
- Counseling an electric vehicle and technology company on a wide range of issues in connection with its US operations, including regulatory matters before multiple federal, state, and local agencies.
- Represented a Fortune 500 energy company in connection with federal and state agency investigations into an industrial incident and environmental release.
- Represented multiple financial services clients in connection with investigations by the SEC.
- Conducted internal investigations on behalf of a national managed-care organization in response to inquiries from federal and state enforcement authorities.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a Fortune 500 company’s Audit Committee to assess the compliance of its China-based subsidiary with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Obtained a declination of federal prosecution for a public company in a DOJ grand jury investigation of alleged misleading advertising claims.
- Obtained a declination of federal prosecution for a former medical device sales executive under investigation for fraud and device misbranding.