Matthew Close represents corporations, directors and officers, and financial advisors in securities class action, derivative, corporate governance, and fiduciary duty litigation, as well as in government and special committee investigations. Matt also litigates commercial disputes, consumer class actions, unfair competition and deceptive trade practice actions, and Attorney General proceedings. As a founding member of the firm’s Data Security and Privacy practice, he focuses on corporate risk-management, oversight and governance issues, and incident response measures.
Matt is recognized by Chambers USA as a leading securities litigator in California and he is President of the Federal Bar Association’s Los Angeles Chapter. He is a frequent commentator in the national and international press on the ways US securities laws and public company regulation impact how foreign companies raise and deploy capital. Matt’s articles have been published in Bloomberg Law Reports, the Los Angeles Daily Journal and International Financial Law Review, and he was chosen for a “2012 Distinguished Legal Writing Award” by the Burton Awards for Legal Achievement, in conjunction with the Library of Congress.
Honors & Awards
- Named one of 10 “Rising Stars Under 40,” nationwide, in the field of securities litigation by Securities Law360
- Recipient of a “2012 Distinguished Legal Writing Award” by the Burton Awards for Legal Achievement, run in conjunction with the Library of Congress
- Recognized by Chambers USA as a leading lawyer for Litigation: Securities
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Southern, and Northern Districts of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth and Eleventh Circuits
- University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, J.D.: Order of the Coif
- University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, B.S.: magna cum laude
- Honorable Mariana R. Pfaelzer, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Federal Bar Association, Los Angeles Chapter (Executive Committee 2014-2017 and President, 2016-17; Board of Directors, 2011-2017)
- Executive Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Litigation Section (2015)
- Advisory Board, Berkeley Center for Law, Business and the Economy, University of California, Berkeley School of Law
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Appellate Courts Committee