O’Melveny Recognized with DEI Leadership Gold Seal by the California State Bar
June 20, 2023
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LOS ANGELES —June 20, 2023—O’Melveny has received the DEI Leadership Gold Seal from the California State Bar for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and in the legal profession.
“We are honored to be recognized as a DEI Leadership Gold Seal recipient by the California State Bar,” said Darin Snyder, O’Melveny’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Partner. “Our commitment to inclusion is fundamental to everything we do at O’Melveny, from hiring and mentoring to creating an environment where everyone feels comfortable and empowered to thrive.”
O’Melveny is one of only 10 legal organizations and one of four law firms to have received Gold Seal status, which is achieved by committing to at least nine of the 10 following Action Items:
- Collecting and maintaining demographic data;
- Creating a strategic DEI plan;
- Calculating staff turnover and promotions;
- Comparing California attorney hire demographics to California attorney population;
- Creating and sharing a public DEI statement;
- Conducting staff stay and exit interviews;
- Surveying staff to gather feedback on DEI efforts;
- Requiring annual employee implicit bias training;
- Incorporating DEI work into performance, advancement, and compensations decisions; and
- Integrating DEI responsibilities into leadership team members’ job duties. Larger organizations, maintaining a DEI professional position.
O’Melveny’s commitment to advancing inclusivity in the legal profession has led to the following results:
- In 2022, the firm recruited its most diverse incoming associate class ever—83% were from historically underrepresented groups—comprising 67% women, 50% racial/ethnic minorities, and 15% LGBTQ+;
- 50% of the firm’s 2022 Policy Committee members are from historically underrepresented groups, as are 80% of the firm’s US Office Heads; and
- In 2022, the firm launched its DE&I Senior Leadership Mentoring program, which aims to improve the experience and retention of the firm’s racial and ethnic minority, LGBTQ+, and first-generation mid-level associates by pairing them with the firm’s most-senior leaders to ensure that they are supported and ultimately stay with the firm.
“At O’Melveny, we are honored to have the opportunity to rise to the occasion of exceeding the standards that the CA State Bar has set for excellence in DE&I,” added Bendita Cynthia Malakia, O’Melveny’s Director of Diversity and Engagement. “Accountability, transparency, and continued progress are what makes our firm a special place where individuals from marginalized groups can thrive.”
It’s more than what you do: it’s how you do it. Across sectors and borders, in board rooms and courtrooms, we measure our success by yours. And in our interactions, we commit to making your O’Melveny experience as satisfying as the outcomes we help you achieve. Our greatest accomplishment is ensuring that you never have to choose between premier lawyering and exceptional service. So, tell us. What do you want to achieve? Visit us at www.omm.com; read our Insights 2023 report; hear what our lawyers, business professionals, and clients have to say in the “Our DNA” video series, learn more in our firm at-a-glance; and find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
O’Melveny & Myers LLP
+1 213 430 8024
# # #