What do we want to achieve?
A vibrant and dynamic workforce filled with visible and subtle differences that make us uniquely prepared to serve our clients. At O’Melveny diversity and inclusion is a work in progress. It always will be because the world, its populations and its legal issues keep changing. So must we.
A Culture of Inclusion
Since 2004, O’Melveny offices across the world celebrate Embracing Diversity and Values Day—a day to celebrate the diverse backgrounds, personalities, and perspectives found within O’Melveny, and to reflect on issues that impact inclusion in the Firm and in the world. Each office chooses a program that can range from hearing from topical speakers to exploring diversity in art to learning through stories of perseverance and success.
Founded through feedback from a firmwide engagement survey, the People Committee is a group of partners, counsel, associates and staff whose mission is to elevate the firm’s collective consciousness about issues affecting our people and ensuring that we continue to seek out ways to be a fulfilling and rewarding place to work. Diversity and inclusion figures prominently in the Committee’s work.
Engaging Our Clients
We are happy to partner with our clients to work towards common goals for diversity and inclusion in the legal industry. We have achieved this through sharing events focused on parents, women, and LGBT interests as well as participating in secondment programs and offering access to CLE or O’Melveny sponsored programs on topics like same-sex marriage, covering and talking to children about race.
Programs & Partnerships
O’Melveny is proud to have over 30 Employee Network Groups around the globe for our parents, our LGBT colleagues, our women, our racially and ethnically diverse employees, veterans, colleagues of various religions and one group that covers all ages! Our Employee Networks organize mentoring, community outreach, social and career-building activities. They are the face of diversity and inclusion within the Firm, and they offer leadership and business development opportunities.
Women’s Leadership Academy
O’Melveny’s Women’s Leadership Academy is a biannual offsite retreat that brings together the Firm’s women partners, counsel, and alumni with women leaders from O’Melveny clients for an intensive two-day workshop devoted to developing leadership skills and relationship building.
Pipeline and Development Programs
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity. O’Melveny attorneys participate in the LCLD’s Law School Mentoring Program, as well in the LCLD Scholar and Fellows programs. These programs offer diverse students and attorneys the chance to network, develop key skills and gain access to legal industry leaders.
- Sponsors for Educational Opportunity. Sponsors for Educational Opportunity (SEO) Career Corporate Law Program targets under-represented and disadvantaged undergrads and pre-law school candidates and allows them to intern with top law firms across the United States. Currently all US offices host interns with their summer classes.
- National LGBT Bar Association. The LGBT Bar is an association of lawyers, judges and other legal professionals, law students, activists, and affiliate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender legal organizations, which promotes justice in and through the legal profession for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender community. O’Melveny sponsors and participates in the LGBT Bar's annual Career Fair and Conference.
O’Melveny supports several organizations that share our goal of diversifying the legal profession. Our partner organizations reach a broad spectrum of diverse constituents. We are proud to be a member, a sponsor, or a supporter of:
- Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area (AABA)
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of DC (APABA-DC)
- Asian Pacific American Legal Center (APALC)
- Association of Law Firm Diversity Professionals (ALFDP)
- Bay Area Urban Debate League
- Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS
- California Minority Counsel Program (CMCP)
- Capital Area Muslim Bar Association (CAMBA)
- Diversity & Flexibility Alliance
- LA Gay & Lesbian Center
- Lambda Legal
- Leadership Counsel on Legal Diversity (LCLD)
- Lesbian & Gay Lawyers Association of Los Angeles (LGLA)
- LGBT Bar Association of Greater New York (LeGaL)
- Mexican American Legal Defense & Education Fund (MALDEF)
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA)
- Ms. JD
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA)
- National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL)
- National Bar Association (NBA)
- National LGBT Bar Association
- Philippine American Bar Association (PABA)
- Project SELF, Orange County
- Sponsors for Educational Opportunity, Law Program (SEO)
- Williams Institute
- Women in Leadership Empowerment Forum (WILEF)
- Women’s Philanthropy Fund, United Way
Find all the latest O'Melveny news related to diversity and inclusion here.