Prominent private equity houses, financial institutions, and corporate clients turn to O’Melveny’s team in the United Kingdom to achieve their goals in M&A and investment transactions, fund raisings and fund structuring, corporate finance, and dispute resolution.
Working closely with our colleagues in offices across the US, Asia and in Brussels, we provide coordinated and comprehensive service for our clients across their business objectives.
- Our team works closely with clients to understand their business goals, guiding them through complex cross-border transactions including acquisitions, investments (both direct and into private equity and other alternative investment funds), divestures, joint ventures, and other strategic transactions. Our English and US-qualified corporate and tax lawyers based in our London office combine cross-border expertise with industry knowledge to serve through our global network the needs of corporates, private equity firms, asset managers, investment funds, and entrepreneurs.
- Our team has been involved in some of the most notable transactions of recent years both in Europe and the emerging markets. We work closely with both general partners on fund raisings and their own structures, and limited partners (including some of the world’s most active institutional investors) on their investments both into private equity and other alternative investment funds. We advise on co-investments, buyers and sellers on high-value secondary transactions, and on the sale or acquisition of investment advisors. Our team includes tax lawyers who help clients navigate tax developments around the world, with advice on structuring, location and type of investment vehicle.
Corporate Finance and Restructuring
- Our team advises borrowers, private equity sponsors, financial institutions and debt investors in connection with a wide variety of finance transactions including leveraged finance transactions, investment grade, corporate financings, high yield bond offerings, private placements, project financings, asset-based lending, structured finance and derivatives. We have significant market experience across a range of sectors and transaction structures and we take a practical approach to quantifying both commercial and legal risks while understanding our clients’ underlying objectives. In addition, we advise our clients on complex insolvency and restructuring issues across Europe and the US.
- Our lawyers have extensive experience dealing with litigation and arbitration cases covering a wide range of industries, with particular expertise in the financial services, oil and gas, technology, and energy sectors. Our team regularly acts on complex, multi-million pound cases, representing prestigious and well-known corporations and sovereign States. We have conducted numerous ad hoc and institutional arbitrations in a variety of seats, and have represented clients in the English High Court. We also frequently work with our competition teams in Brussels, London, Asia, and the US to defend companies against competition law damages claims brought in the English High Court.
Financial Services Regulation
- With investment funds facing increasing regulation, we work with Europe, US, and Asia-based funds to navigate these requirements. In the UK, we advise on a broad range of financial services regulatory matters, including, whether FCA licensing is required, interpretation of the FCA rules, regulatory issues impacting fund structuring and fund managers (including AIFMD), financial crime matters, and change of control applications on corporate transactions.
Investigations and Regulatory
- We advise clients in connection with economic crimes and regulation, including bribery and corruption, proceeds of crime and money laundering, and economic sanctions and export control regulations. Our lawyers have acted on multijurisdictional criminal and regulatory investigations and disputes for clients across multiple industries including financial services. We frequently advise clients in relation to the design and implementation of their compliance policies and provide training.
O'Melveny & Myers LLP, a limited liability partnership registered in England (registered number OC307988), is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA number 407228). Please refer to www.omm.com/uknotice for important information on our regulatory position. The SRA Code of Conduct can be found at www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/handbook/code/content.page.
We operate in combination with our associated California, USA, limited liability partnership, O'Melveny & Myers LLP in the following offices: Beijing, Brussels, Century City, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Tokyo, and Washington, DC.