Variety Names Eight O’Melveny Partners to its 2022 “Legal Impact Report”April 20, 2022
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LOS ANGELES—April 20, 2022—Variety has named eight O’Melveny partners to its 2022 “Legal Impact Report,” which recognizes the top attorneys in the entertainment business who “win for their clients and guide them through industry disruption.”
The annual special report honored four members of O’Melveny’s Entertainment Litigation Team and four members of O’Melveny’s Entertainment & Media Transactions Team.
Led by Trial Practice Chair Daniel Petrocelli and Entertainment, Sports, and Media Group Co-Chair Molly Lens, the Litigation Team’s profile also featured General Litigation Group Chair David Marroso and partner Leah Godesky. Variety recognized the team’s work on several headline-making matters, including:
- counseling CNN in its dismissal of former anchor Chris Cuomo;
- securing a resolution of Scarlett Johansson’s “Black Widow” lawsuit against Marvel and Disney;
- defending singer-songwriter Kesha in a lawsuit brought by her former producer;
- representing Global Rights Music against a coalition of 10,000 radio stations;
- suppressing a copyright termination suit threatening Fox’s “Predator” franchise;
- filing a series of suits on behalf of Marvel and Disney regarding copyright termination rights for several comic characters, including Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Thor.
“Copyright termination and issues around the streaming of content on affiliated platforms will continue to dominate the negotiations and disputes in the industry for the foreseeable future,” Petrocelli told Variety.
Led by Entertainment, Sports & Media Co-Chair Amy Siegel, the Transactions Team’s profile also featured partners Lindsay Conner, Bruce Tobey, and Silvia Vannini. Variety recognized the team’s work on several industry-shaping deals, including:
- advising South Korea’s CJ ENM on its acquisition of an 80% stake in Endeavor Content;
- representing ViacomCBS in its acquisition of a majority stake in Spanish-language content producer Fox TeleColombia & Estudios TeleMexico;
- advising a shareholder in the $900 million sale of media company Hello Sunshine;
- advising WarnerMedia on its sale of TMZ;
- advising Red Arrow studios in the $73 million sale of its majority stake in Gravitas Ventures.
“The content providers want a menu of options for distribution and pricing models and innovative ways that a consumer can interact with the product,” Siegel told Variety.
Variety’s full Legal Impact Report can be viewed here.
O’Melveny has been synonymous with entertainment law since Hollywood’s Golden Age in the 1930s. The firm has helped major players in film, television and cable, production and distribution, the internet, video games, music, finance, investment, and dozens of household-name performers successfully tackle groundbreaking deals and high-profile disputes. As financial models and technological advances transform today’s entertainment and media business, O’Melveny remains a firm of choice for industry leaders.
It’s more than what you do: it’s how you do it. Across sectors and borders, in board rooms and courtrooms, we measure our success by yours. And in our interactions, we commit to making your O’Melveny experience as satisfying as the outcomes we help you achieve. Our greatest accomplishment is ensuring that you never have to choose between premier lawyering and exceptional service. So, tell us. What do you want to achieve? Visit us at www.omm.com or learn more in our firm at-a-glance, annual report, and on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. Visit The Boardroom for our insights on pressing issues facing global corporations.
O’Melveny & Myers LLP
+1 213 430 8024
# # #